Thursday, September 3, 2009

Exit the Rock

So today I'm home sick, and from the boredom that inevitably follows if I'm not knocked out cold from whatever's ailing me and keeping me from being active elsewhere, I've been driven to the web. I did the facebook thing, and then I did the email thing, and someone sent me an email that really got me thinking. And the more I thought, the more ashamed I felt. I'll explain.

I don't know about you, but I hate the news.

Every time I turn it on, I see tragedy - people all over are in pain, whether it's from economic hardship, the loss of their loved ones through violence, murder or natural causes, or any number of the things that cause humans to suffer. I have a soft heart, and when I watch these things it hurts my heart, and I don't like to have my heart hurt, so I turn it off.

And I turn away.

Is this the right thing to do? I think we get so wrapped up in the right thing to do for ourselves that we forget to do the right thing for other people. And we get deadened to their suffering, and numb to existence of pain in anyone in ourselves. I can tell you all day about the pain in my life, and the hardships I suffer, but am I going to mention or consider the suffering of people who are less able to address their problems than I am? Am I going to offer the charities that reach out to these people more than a passing, wistful thought that I wish I had time to really help them?

And have you looked at our country, lately, or really considered the direction it's taking? I can honestly say I have avoided paying much attention to politics or the government for the past few years, or my responsibility as a citizen to be informed. Briefly my interest in a presidential candidate, Ron Paul, made me look into affairs, in a cursory fashion, but I didn't really take anything in. I always think - I don't have time for that. I don't have the capacity to really soak in and understand what's going on, there, so I better just leave it to other people. And unfortunately, I think that's probably the attitude many have. Not that some people don't actually have better or worthier things to do with their time, we do all have our own talents - but surely a certain amount of interaction that should take place?

I'm not an overnight convert, I'm not saying that I am suddenly this expert on current events, our nation's future, or politics at all. But I do think that these matters deserve more of my attention than I've previously offered. And I hope to report on what I find within the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment